Somnolence: Sleepiness, the state of feeling drowsy, ready to fall asleep. A person experiencing somnolence is somnolent and is acting somnolently.
100% prevalence of somnolence among world population.
Causes of somnolence.
Physiological (unconnected with pathology):
- Lack of sleep (not gaining additionally individual sleep time)
- irrational time of work and rest
- seasonal (spring, partly winter)
- gastronomic specific taste (incompatibility of foods, surplus, inopportune meal, alcohol and other)
Pathological (refersto to the symptom or comorbid sickly state):
- arterial low blood pressure
- obesity, cachexy
- narcolepsy (forced sleep for 1-3min without feeling of fatigue)
- syndrome of Klein-Levin (rare imperative sleep in any place for hours to a day)
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- consequences of CCI, remaining phenomena of strokes, memingo-encephalitis, various encephalopathy.
Neurophysiological basis of somnolence
It is known that a somnolence is presented by reduced tone of the brain. During a somnolence a charge of whole organism is in the area of -. As oppression of functions of the brain is sent to braking and decline of level of metabolism, so medical signs during supervision will have just the same character. A physiological somnolence is corrected relatively favourably, as a rule, it needs correction by the man. However the pathological is the sign of illness with serious changes in the systems of organism and violation of balance between them.
Tone of the brain is provided by a reticular structure (by the reticulated neuronal formation), look like a battery with the function of switch of biorhythms on + or -, are levels of activity. A somnolence looks as a transitional position of switching, which stuck on position, when a transition does not seize on + and lack of terms for a transition on -.
In this case AP, as well as at any somnolence it appears reduced (90-70/60-40 mm Hg). The blood supply of the brain is so reduced accordingly, that it is unable to provide either oxygen or glucose to reticular structure. Thus the somnolence appears.
Neurodynamic basis of somnolence
EEG (electro-encephalographies) researches somnolence. Today this method of diagnostics is accessible for the wide layers of population. At a somnolence the graphic image of base-line EEG shows the low (on the average on 30-40% from a norm) level of amplitude of power potential or periods of its decline for 5-7sec. At the so-called functional loading of the brain it is possible to see the sickly and belated reaction of cerebral tissue, although there is a sufficient level of oxygen in a room and normal providing of glucose. The last dethrones a myth about a somnolence, as a result of reduced level of oxygen in an environment. An excessive level of dioxide of carbon plays a role in an environment.
Pathogenesis of somnolence
A somnolence is an unpleasant feeling, except for the state of passing to physiology sleep.
Both physiologic and pathological somnolence is the result of decline of power level of the reticulated structure of the brain, taking into account the decline of blood supply in the cerebrovascular reservoir on the whole due to the decline of AP. Therefore it remains to set that reduces AP by expansion of vessels. In the cases of physiology somnolence a direct humoral factor works: hormones of pancreas passing in blood have a powerful vasodilatory influence on all main arteries and arterioles. Other systems do not react on such influence or react in an insufficient measure.
Is a somnolence a barrier in life?
Any clinical sign which brings discomfort is a barrier.
How to fight with a non-burden somnolence?
- To use drinks and foods with content of the so-called restorative substances (caffeine, guarana, lemon, B vitamins, Thiaminum and other) temporally can decrease a somnolence. There may be a necessity for additional useof such restorative substances, however it costs to consider getting used to them, necessity of increase their dose and, in the end, it may have harmful consequences for the health (gastritis, hepatosis, gastric, excitation ulcer, alarm, panicky attacks, high blood pressure, dehydration, osteoporosis, psychosis, hallucinations).
- In spring to put sunglasses on for diminishing of excessive stimulation of serotonin secretion which also extends vessels and reduces AP.
- Separate feed (healthy feed).
- To fall asleep in an interval from 21.00 to 23.00, when a secretion to the hormone of sleep of melatonin is maximal.
- To take into account your individual power potential of thebrain and organism at work.
How to fight with a discomfort somnolence?
It is not recommended to treat such somnolence independently. Ccorrection cardiovascular, nervous, endocrine and other systems is difficult and it must be conducted with participation of physicians and applying all means of innovative diagnostics and treatment.
What check-ups must be passed?
An obligatory package includes:
- EEG (electro-encephalography);
- ECG (electrocardiography with Cardiovisor);
- US dopplerography of vessels of neck and head (USDG), endocrine glands and internal organs;
- VST (vascular screening technology);
- review of neurologist;
- consultation of psychologist;
- if necessary general blood test, general urine test, consultation of a therapist, other clinical researches.
The examinations must give the complete picture of origin and character of pathological (discomfort) somnolence and choose the most expedient approach in treatment, taking into account the operating condition of patient and his individual features of personality.
How effectively to fight with a somnolence?
А. Medicinal correction of the educed changes in the cardiovascular, nervous and endocrine system.
В. Unmedicinal correction of neurodynamic and psycho-neurological disorders.
С. Instrumental monitorying during the treatment course of somnolence.
A prognosis at the correction of somnolence.
According to data of the Clinic of Healthy Vessels – a developer of complex individual haemodynamic correction of pathological somnolence at proof achievement and fixing arteriovenous vascular and neurodynamic-endocrine balance a pathological somnolence is cut fully for long time and at the observance of recommendations does not regress for years.